Gas Appliance Safety Tips

If you’re new to using natural gas appliances in your home than you’ll want to be sure to read the owner’s manual to ensure you’re using them properly. Safety is a key concern, particularly when transitioning from an electric cook top to a gas cook top. Open flames can easily cause injury to yourself or children when you aren’t accustomed to using them.

Review and practice these safety tips for your home’s gas appliances:

›Natural gas smells like rotten eggs. If you smell this, leave the home and immediately call the gas company for assistance.

›Never store or use flammable products (gasoline, spray paints, solvents, insecticide, adhesives, insect foggers, varnish, cleaning products, etc.) in the same room or near any gas or heat-producing appliances.

›Never store anything near a gas appliance that might interfere with normal appliance airflow. Make sure that your gas fired appliances have plenty of air so they can work properly.

›Never use natural gas ranges for space heating. Using a range as a source of heat can cause dangerous levels of Carbon Monoxide to build up in your home.

›Set your water heater temperature to 120°F. Water heaters set at 140°F or higher pose a potential danger, especially to children and the elderly.

›Remove any lint or obstruction from your clothes dryer’s exhaust duct, vent and hood cover (outside the house) periodically.  Lint is highly flammable. When a dryer becomes clogged with lint, the heat is trapped, causing it to overheat, and increasing the probability for the lint to catch fire.

›Never use your natural gas grill inside a garage, in an enclosed porch, or directly under low eaves or overhangs.

Natural gas is a clean, abundant, and efficient natural resource that makes for great home appliances. Always remember to use caution when operating them. For assistance with your natural gas lines, contact Fox Valley heating and cooling today.